Thursday 5 April 2012

2nd swimming lesson

This took place at 7.30am before work. Not super-early but still required a 6.15am get up to cycle in to Central London (35-40 mins). I had only had elderflower juice and after the cycle in and 1 hour + in the pool I felt a bit wobbly and required a lot of food throughout the day to replenish stocks. Lesson learnt.
The key now was to develop my power in the water but, equally, what was happening out of the water while I was powering through with the other arm? More shoulder work but this time doing the following:
  • Warm Up x 6 lengths
  • Catch Ups x 4 lengths - with one arm stretched out in front the other arm takes a full stroke until it's caught up with your hand held outstretched in front. You then take a stroke with the other arm. Try to keep breathing regular (not easy - I forgot and then started to sink). This helps work on your streamlining and pull through the water. Difficult to start with but keep trying and you get into quite a good rhythm. This is a great exercise for a warm up as it forces you to stretch your shoulders out
  • Arm Pit-Hits (high elbows) x 4 lengths - it's really an arm pit 'stroke' but that didn't have the same ring to it. Hold your hand out with your 4 fingers together and your thumb outstretched at a right angle to form an "L" shape. Swim normally (ish) but as you bring your arm out of the water, brush your thumb past your armpit. It's not meant to look pretty. I felt completely unco-ordinated, especially when I tried to breath but the exercise helps with your high-shoulders and encourages you to role your shoulder, increasing your reach and hence the length of your stroke
  • Both of the above together at the same time x 4 lengths. Sinking all the way!
  • Pull harder & longer - for this we then put paddles on my hands, float between the legs. After 4 lengths my arms / shoulders were really starting to ache to the point that I had no power towards the back end of my stroke. I deduced from this that I need to get down the gym, or at least do some more dips...
  • We finished with 6 lengths. Enough for a bit of tiredness to creep in to the last 2 lengths. I was told to focus on maintaining my head position, high shoulders and length of stroke
  • I finished the session with another 40 lengths / 1,200m. Total session
If you're a rower the 'finish' to the stroke that you take with a rowing blade is the key bit. You are told to keep your 'finishes long' which gives you that extra couple of inches with 'power down' in the water. In swimming, it's the same. The 'catch' as your hand goes into the water is extended by high/rolling shoulders and the 'finish' is improved by pulling through right past your thigh (not your hips or bum as most people do). My finish tends to be a bit wobbly because my arms aren't strong enough and because I'm always trying to get my breath / taking too long to do so. And that is what we'll be working on in lesson number 3.....

No comments:

Post a Comment