Tuesday 28 August 2012

The Big Woody - Part II

There are various debates about what went on on the bike. All we know is that by the time Will arrived back after the cycle he was fuming because Mark and Jonny had ridden a lot of the bike course ‘together’. In his mind this meant drafting. Photographic evidence suggests that Will and Pugh may also have been cycling ‘together’ at some point. I would point out that drafting in amateur competitions is not allowed.

After the first half an hour or so on the bike we were lucky enough to see some blue sky emerge. We actually dodged all but one or two relatively minor rain showers in the end although heard rumbles of thunder in the distance coming from ominous grey clouds. So on we pedalled. By now Mark had extended his lead. JK had had a puncture and WJD had made some ground up to give him a chance on the run. Pughy and WJD spent some time pedalling together but Mark ultimately maintained his lead and then extended this once he hit the run.

Me on the bike - showing my appreciation to the supporters!


Pughy doing his best to impersonate superman. May the wind always be at your heels.


Will looking solid on the bike.


JK also looking relatively happy.


Mark, just relieved to be on the bike and pedalling hard. I would also point out that this guy has completed the Tour De Force which is the entire route of the Tour de France 2 weeks later so he is by far and away the most experienced cyclist of the bunch and this showed.



As I approached the end of the final lap on the bike I was cycling up the penultimate hill on my way from Bream and I noticed a cyclist in his full matching lycra parked up by a gate on the opposite side of the road. At this point I'd been overtaken by an older bloke complaining about the hilly bike course but I'd cheered him on congratulating him on having nearly finished it. As the stationary cyclist cheered the older guy on I recognised a very familiar voice. It was Uncle David! In a mad rush he hopped on his bike and quickly chased me up one of the shortest but steepest hills on the course shouting encouragement. We then hit one of the bigger descents, although wetter this time, and I had one of the hariest moments on the cycle. I was going too fast, the road was rutted and as I thought about hitting my brakes I thought better of it but by now was heading for the hedge. Luckily the road straightened out in time but I had experience quite a big drift around the corner. To say it was a heart in mouth moment is an understatement.

As we pulled into transition anything between five and six and a half hours later our supporters (Rach & Chris) were waiting under shelter for us to commence the run. The term marathon was applicable to all!


T2 was a relatively relaxed affair with a park bench to sit on and further outside assistance allowed. Here you can see the WAG's helping with kit and pulling on socks (!).


Once we were all out on the run we were hit by probably some of the worst weather of the day and I think this picture captures it perfectly! Here you can see JK trudging through some pretty foul conditions towards the start of the run. My trainers filled up with water so I was running with what felt like weights tied to my feet for most of the following lap.


The course they'd put together was an out and back loop of just over 4 miles. We had to completed 6 laps of this. My first took me about 35 minutes, my last over 45! What we'd failed to realised was just how hilly said course was. After the first big hill (up which I resorted to walking each time), it turned into a track, rutted and covered in stones and rock. Then the main feed station offering everything from Pretzels to Jelly Babies. After this a steep descent followed by a long steady uphill section to the turnaround point. It was tempting but I didn't see anyone cut this short. Once you were heading home there was a mental lift but as you ticked off the laps the downhill sections were nearly as painful, if not more so, than the uphill sections. On the penultimate and final lap I ended up walking down the hills as well as up them.

3rd or 4th lap - looking happier than I was probably feeling. You have to look good for the cameras after all. Our supporters walked the course to get out to the furthest point which added some interest to proceedings. In addition there was some good banter with the other athletes finding out names, how far they had to go and high fiving if we were unable to speak. It was in one of these exchanges that I found out I was in second place out of the women. I had to keep going! 


Early celebrations by the finish line. 

The first man over the line and ironically the one who looked least likely to start! Mark and Neeshe celebrating. The smile was soon wiped off Mark's face as the inevitable stiffness hit his hamstring and back injuries. 

Will looking pretty broken at the finish...



He perked up soon after to give the TGS salute.


JK delighted to have finished. My money was on him to take the men's intra-TGS competition but going out too hard on the bike course had taken its toll.


Pugh looking considerably happier than he had done on the final couple of laps of the run. Despite losing a lot of muscle bulk for this he still won the TGS 'Show us ya Guns' competition.


Pure, unadulterated relieft as I hit the finish line.


Pretty blo*dy happy to be finished.


The Durden family - Nanny D would have been proud and to have the Dursley contingent there was an added bonus.

Our chauffeur, who'd also done the 4.30am wake-up call, in need of a rest after dinner. JK and Mark had gone straight to bed!


Results and analysis to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment